Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith says he is ready to launch street protests if Sri Lanka’s government does not find and arrest the culprits behind last year’s Easter bombings.
Ucanews.com reported the cardinal said the administration has not taken action regarding the suicide bombings that killed about 300 people, including 40 foreign nationals, and injured at least 500.
“The most senior person in the government should have been brought to the Criminal Investigation Department and questioned if he had been aware in advance of the Easter bomb blasts,” Cardinal Ranjith said on 8th March at the Basilica of Our Lady of Lanka.
“There are reports that police officers investigating the Easter Sunday suicide bomb blasts are currently being transferred,” he said.
The cardinal said the government also should publish all the interim committee reports on the bomb blasts.
“Investigations into the Easter Sunday attacks have revealed that current government-related ‘big people’ have also been involved, and no action has been taken against them,” he said. “We will take to the streets with our people whether we have this election or not.”
Picture: Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith of Colombo, Sri Lanka, looks at the explosion site inside a church in Negombo on 21st April 2019, following a string of suicide bomb attacks on churches and luxury hotels across the island. Cardinal Ranjith says he is ready to launch street protests if Sri Lanka’s government does not find and arrest the culprits. (CNS photo/Reuters).