The annual Red Mount procession at Kings Lynn went ahead as usual but in an unusual manner, writes Stephen Farr.
The solemnity of the Assumption of Our Lady is usually marked by the carrying of the statue of Our Lady, which was granted to the pontifical National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in King’s Lynn by Pope Leo XIII in 1897. The traditional route of the procession goes from the parish church of Our Lady of the Annunciation to the Red Mount, which is a late 15th-century wayside chapel for pilgrims on their way to Walsingham, and which houses two chapels.
For obvious reasons, things had to be done differently this year, but the tradition was upheld by the local faithful as best they could.
After vespers at Our Lady of the Annunciation, the congregation took an informal ramble to the Red Mount in a socially distant manner.
On arrival at the Red Mount we prayed as normal before ambling back for benediction at Our Lady, ensuring the historic day continues.