This recipe comes from the TV chef Ainsley Harriott’s latest book, Ainsley’s Mediterranean Cookbook.
“I just had to cook lamb while in Sardinia,” says Ainsley Harriott. “The mountainous island is known for its shepherding and the quality of the tender meat is fantastic. This recipe uses just a simple glaze to enhance the wonderful flavour.
“Lamb with artichokes is a much-loved combination on the island and a familiar sight on restaurant menus. The delicate sweet nutty taste of the artichoke complements the meat perfectly.”
Lamb steaks recipe with artichokes, rosemary and honey
Ingredients (To serve 4)
2 garlic cloves, grated
2tsp chopped rosemary leaves, plus extra to garnish
3tbsp balsamic vinegar
4tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon: zest and juice of 1/2; plus 1/2 reserved for squeezing
4 lamb leg steaks
1tbsp honey (thyme honey if you can get it)
6-8 artichoke hearts from a jar, drained and halved
A drizzle of olive oil, for frying 400g cabbage, such as Savoy or cavolo nero, finely shredded
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the garlic, rosemary, balsamic vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon zest and juice into a shallow dish or baking tray. Season with salt and pepper and add the lamb steaks. Toss to coat in the marinade, then cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least two hours or ideally overnight.
2. When ready to cook, heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat until hot. Add the lamb and cook for four minutes on each side.
3. Meanwhile, stir the honey into the leftover marinade and spoon a little over each lamb steak as it cooks.
4. When the lamb is almost cooked, add the artichoke hearts to the pan and drizzle with a little of the marinade. Leave to char for one minute, then turn and cook the other side. Remove the lamb and set aside to rest for four to five minutes.
5. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the cabbage and a squeeze of juice from the reserved lemon half. Season well.
6. To serve, place the cabbage in the centre of each plate, sit a lamb steak on top and spoon the artichokes and any pan juices around the sides. Scatter over a few rosemary leaves to finish.
Ainsley’s Mediterranean Cookbook by Ainsley Harriott, photography by Dan Jones, is published by Ebury Press, priced £20. Available now.